Monday, June 19, 2006

Retrack....Back to Reality!

Hmm...reading back to my previous post, I have been disillusioned by my ecstasy towards my recent achievement, namely the security of job (pending work permit approval). Hopefully my work permit is issued just fine, and I can start work immediately so that I can complete that 13-week probation in order to be a confirmed employee of the company.

Yes, back to the topic...I have been so preoccupied with that occassion, that I forgot the past two weeks had been rather quiet around the house. It is the mid-year holiday where the students get a one whole month break from school. So, naturally, the students who are living with us are enjoying themselves in Jakarta. Well, there's 3 different groups, and it's interesting to note. FYI: I'll describe the details to make it easier to understand. Currently, my mom is guardian to 4 students. 1 is a girl who had been staying with us for the past 3 years, and her name is Dian. This year, she's in the final year, i.e. Secondary 4 and facing her GCSE O Level soon. 2 of the 4 are siblings, the older sister is in her Secondary 3, and her younger brother is in Secondary 2, same level as my brother. However, they are 2 years senior the normal age for that levels, so in actual, Atok (the younger brother's nick) is 2 years older despite being in Secondary 2 like my brother. And his sis, Utz is 17 doing her Secondary 3. The last one would be Yono, who just joined us not too long ago. He's doing his university here in MDIS. He's rather peculiar in that he keeps to himself, and don't really interact much with people in the house.

So, the first group to go home was the siblings. They left at the end of May and would be back later this month. The second batch to leave was Dian, and she's only going back for 2 weeks because she will be pounded with remedial classes to prepare her for her O Level examinations. Lastly, Yono left a day after Dian, and came back just a week later. So, for now, Yono and Dian are already back to resume their schools. Plus, we have another guest coming back. He's none other than my own 2nd brother! Hahaha...this is really funny. He's doing an exchange program with NUS, and he'll be here for 6 weeks for the duration of his courses. Surprisingly, though he's in advanced science program, he's only doing a seminar on an advanced science course, while the other course he's taking here is.....Chinese Language! Yes....funny....but I found out later that the exchange program has interesting excursion, which include a trip to Tioman Island. Ohhh....how I envy his travels. So, he came back on Saturday afternoon, and stayed for the weekend at home. I'm so damn jealous of him being taller than me!! He's easily 180 cm when I'm only about 5-6 cm shorter!! Dammm...how'd he get the genes when all he does is sleep, and more sleep. Maybe his addiction to chocolate help, but he's not exactly a big build, but rather the opposite. He's much skinnier, and yet he's much taller! Ohh...I think my youngest brother will surpass me too, since he's almost my height and he's only merely 14! At the beginning of his puberty....Goshh.....such is the generation gap.

So....another update, last Friday I went back to the company to sign the papers as an official employee of the company. I got there at 1:30 PM and I was made to wait for an hour with reading materials regarding company policies, as well as all those confidential agreement stuff. Well, I shouldn't have been made to wait that long because the girl who put me into the meeting room forgot to notify the HR person who was supposed to finalize the signing with me! Grrr....anyway, I sneaked out of the room after an hour wait, and he came to the room with the offer letter. I was surprise to find out the sum of how much I will be earning there.....I'm rather embarrassed to share with you guys, but it was about $2k. So, after all the autographs I gave him, he gave me the application for the S pass which I needed to fill out. It took a good 15-20 minutes to fill the whole application. Luckily for me, they will be doing all the processing, and I was to be notified within 3-4 weeks. And it might be expedited if need be. Alrighty....I guess it settled everything, and I am hoping for a good news. I went to pray with my mom and dad the day before to thank for the blessing.

Should I squeeze a bit more to this posting? Alright....bear with me....All this World Cup frenzy has caught many people in disarray from lack of sleep, burns in the pockets, and surprisingly, extra income for those kopitiams. I can't imagine how much more they're earning looking at how much they're spending for just one match. Once, I saw a group who ordered 5 bottles of Tiger with 1 bottle of dark stout Guiness. That in all easily cost $50. Plus, with all the bettings, I can't imagine how much they're forking out. I heard in the news that some people who are into betting lost an amount accumulating to the region of tens of thousands. (BTW, I was forbidden to bet by the auntie who was helping me pray near the Kwan Im Thong temple.) So, in order for my work and all things related to work to pan out, she advise me not to bet. My dad even went vegetarion for a couple of days to ask for the blessings for me.

So....no bets....and with almost half of the matches being played so far, there's nothing much I can do. I have not followed it as closely as part of the fun is lost from my inability to bet. ;p Lame excuse eh? Nah...it's just that my body is taking its toll from late night stays and all those footballs. And I still haven't seen a team as a real favourite to the Holy Grail this World Cup. Only Argentina showed promise, and the referee (for brandishing yellows and reds like blowing whistle over small fouls). Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Portugal....they've all disappointed. Dark horses like Korea, Ghana, Spain, and Mexico show some potential for the next round. And those Americans are getting their grips on a sport they call soccer. Maybe the next match against Ghana they will be able to impose US democratic rule over world affairs! Hahaha....imagine Bush threatening Ghana with sanctions if they beat the US team?? Wouldn't that be great? And yes, maybe Brazil might play nice with Japan, giving them victory to let them pass through the next round on the expense of the Socceroos and the Croats? Hehehe....you never know...the ball is round, the referees are mean, and the World Cup frenzy goes on for another 2 weeks!! Ciao...and happy watching football my frenzz......

4 Barks:

At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey I just dropped by through random surfing, and I kinda liked your blog. anyway, congrats on your successful job-search! I'm on my job-hunt now, so I can understand how you feel. :)

from your tone, are you getting more than expected? if so, congrats again. :)

Wen

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Pooch said...

Hi Wen, I would like to first of all extend my warmest welcome to Pooch House. I'm glad to be receiving feedback from anyone especially someone like you. Oops, I almost forgot, thank you for the compliment for my blog.

Yes, the feeling was awful and the job-hunt does take it's toll on your body and mental state. So, I am wishing you all the best and I will pray for your successful job hunt. Also, if it's alright with you, if you have your own blog, please do let me know so I can link you. I would like to get to know a little more about you too. So, drop in again sometime and I will be glad to hear more about your progress with job hunt. Good luck friend, and just my two-cents worth: Be patient and it will come naturally. Cheers!

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there, it's very nice of you to leave such a long and encouraging reply to a stranger. :)

anyway, I received an offer of employment from a company today. I'm going through an agency, so it's just the agency telling me the good news. the exact package is not out yet, but it would be plus-minus my expected a lil. haha, I was wondering.. do companies actually pay you more than your expected in the first place?

anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it would be a good package! :)

Wen

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Pooch said...

Hi again Wen. Hmm...should I say you're welcome? Anywhoo...glad to have you back to my crib.

About your good news, I am equally happy for you. Although it helps that the agency is able to help you. That can only mean you have the right qualifications for the job. So, CONGRATS! And about the pay, I am not sure myself. To be honest, this is my first job in Singapore. All I needed was a minimum basic salary of $1800 to get my S pass issued. But because I put a range of between 1800 and 2000 in my resume, plus my post-graduate degree, I guess they would shortchange me if they give below $2k. So, not really a help ther eh? But I'm sure they will compensate you for what you're worth.

Do drop by again okie? All the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home