Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Week of Heaven and Hell: The Motley Crew

So, there I arrive ready to be busy and be piled with tons of work. Apparently, even though I had setup my access to the network and e-mail, I still have a lousy computer which doesn't let me connect to the network and shared drive. Thus, I spent most of the Monday doing it "virtually" as I observed and watched Daphne do the routine for that Monday.

Due to the fact that I have signed confidentiality terms and conditions, I shall not reveal too much about the description of my work and my customers, but I will give enough directions to have you all readers a feel of what I do. The assignment given to me was that I had to send the forecast for items that will be needed to suppliers. This forecast was for demands of items needed to build the system for the period of the coming quarter. I was of course given a list of suppliers' contacts, but it is somewhat not the most recent. So, the list of suppliers I had to send go to as long as 30-40 and even some of them bounced back as they already left their position or on leave. It was not easy. I was not sure if they even got it and read it as I am not supposed to be expecting any replies anyway.

Then the second assignment I got was to pull in (or bring forward scheduled delivery) for items that were needed to produce the system we're building. Okay, I am going to breach a little of my contract agreement here! The thing is that my team will be involved with the new product that we are building for one of the biggest ISS division. Okay, techie will know what ISS means, and I am not going to debrief those who are lost! Anyway, this customer is a household name and you would see it anywhere you see computers or peripheral computer accessories. And if we missed out on this fragment of business, there will never be a second chance at it. The downside is that the pilot launch is very close and that production of the system is to be revamped up and we are so much in short of the parts needed to build them. Thus, the strain and perplex condition that I am facing in trying to gather all those parts in to build the system before the agreed role date for the customer.

The extent is just as huge as the recent news of Microsoft's falling stock prices as the announcement was made regarding the push back date for the new Windows Vista. So, the whole group (not only us buyers), which include the Program Manager, Purchasing Manager, and all relevant corporate members who are involved in this project is being targeted if the project fails. If the project fails, it can cost millions and heads rolling! So, you can understand my pressure of trying to bring all these parts in early!

I filtered the parts from the Oracle system that the company uses and to my amused look, I find a minimum of 500 parts that needs to be pulled in. And about 300 of those needs to be docked in and pass inspection by next week!! Ahhh....sending e-mails became the bread and butter of my work for the next few days. Of course I had to anticipate for reply from customers for good and bad news. Then, came one really bad news. One supplier was supposed to deliver the parts sometime in August and they had to delay it to DECEMBER!! Imagine the shocks to all the people who received that news! I saw my senior project planner screaming and shouting at the supplier at the cause. I was tasked to source the parts to stockist. Meaning like bookies who has access to a network of 3rd party suppliers for these parts. But of course the price will vary and with the strict standard of pricing that the kind my company deal with, it will be hard to find a suitable quote for decent pricing for the similar part! To my luck, I had a part that came in cheaper than the supposed price that we are supposed to buy! And I received some compliments! Haha...now the only thing is I needed to buy it. But it was already Thursday evening when I receive that quote. I had to go for a whole day orientation on Friday and I was panicking about my work throughout the whole orientation.

Yes, orientation was somewhat boring and too long! Although I get to tour the facility and production, my mind was constantly on the work I had to do. All those replies from e-mails and whatever things I had to do! But, looking at the China women do their work somewhat eases my mind a little bit! Hahhaa....alright, not all of them, but I was intrigued having looked at SMT machines which I had only chanced upon on textbooks and all those reading materials. And also, I get to learn about ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) and all the importance to an electronics manufacturing companies especially my company.

So, orientation finished and I had to complete my medical check-up with the resident nurse for the company record. There goes another 30 minutes of my work day. Effectively, that Friday I only worked for 3,5 hours and it was already 7:30 at night. I can't do anything else since I also gave up on those suppliers still being at their desk doing their work on a Friday night!! So, I had no choice but to also leave. I mean, I have this half-day training on Saturday teaching us how to use the Oracle.

I am not going to go into much details about my Saturday training. Just that the location was at my future workplace, and I loved the exterior and interior of the factory. It is much better and I hoped it will lead to a better working condition compared to the one now. The downside is food will be much harder to scour. The day's training really drained my energy, but I had enough strength left in me to go out with one of my old secondary school friend out for a coffee (much needed caffeine) and a good Nasi Padang meal somewhere near Boat Quay/Clarke Quay! OOooooo boy, let me tell you....it's one of the best in Singapore that I have tasted so far!! For those who are keen for a sample, you can ask me out next time. I won't mind treating some ladies if asked nicely! Hahaha...Noe...no treat for you...this one a bit more expensive larhhh...
Hehehe.....good day, but a hellish week! Gosh, now it's already 10 PM Sunday night, and I can't imagine how my inbox will be like for tomorrow!! God Bless I can survive the week ahead! But, you know what? I am loving my job. Even though it's like I am thrown into the hell pit, I got to learn much more at a much faster pace. I know I should expect the fast pace given the nature of the business of my company, but I am sure to benefit if I can make it through this project. I just wish the bonus will commensurate with the effort I put in into this project!! Alright....I am out...peace guys...Hope your weekend had been a blast!!

Adios


The End

1 Barks:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger inoedoshi said...

~ Olaaaa dude .. WOW! wedding was a blast eh? hihihi .. sweeeeet .. seeing old friends must have brought back those golden days behind .. wakakakakaka .. eniweis i had a great time too on my trip .. i'm flat exhausted now but still got to work for food .. LOL .. btw we'll have tat nasi padang someday k dude .. n i promise it'll be on ME this time! wooohooooo .. tek it izzi yo ~ cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home