Wednesday, July 05, 2006

FORZA AZZURRI!!

Italia...Italia...Italia....Italia....Forza Azzurri! That is still vivid in my memory from my Japan/Korea 2002 World Cup where I witnessed the first round of Italy's matches. The team has dramatically changed except for the usual suspect namely the defence marshalled by Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta, and Buffon, and midfield consisting of Gattusso, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Totti, and of course Del Piero. Now, new names are spotted, Grosso, Zacardo, Gilardino, Toni, Barzagli, Bonera, De Rossi. They are getting younger.

The match was quite brilliant with lots of attacking plays. Naturally, Italians being known for their stringent defence was at its best as Cannavaro and Buffon did everything they are known for to stop the German attacks. I counted no less than 3 world-class saves from Buffon and countless tackles and headers from Cannavaro as the whole unit took the 2006 World Cup defence to another meaning. 1 goal conceded in 5 games, and the one goal being an own-goal is an achievement in itself. In midfield, the hungry Gattusso went for every ball and disrupted Ballack and co. for possession. Fortunately or unfortunately, the match ended with a scoreless but entertaining draw and another extra-time for Germany.

Nonetheless, I couldn't contain my excitement as it was drawing to the conclusion to another penalty shoot-out. Germany was well known for converting their penalties while the Italians more notorious for its misses, like Roberto Baggio and Luigi diBiagio. So, I hated for the Italians to go to penalties although they can trust in their keeper Buffon. However, the first 3 minutes of extra-time belonged to Italy as Gilardino and Zambrotta were denied by the woodwork. And then who would think the last 3 minutes went to the Italians as luck would have it. Out of nowhere, a poorly cleared corner with dying minutes was picked up by Pirlo. As if playing basketball, he delivered a no-look pass to an unmarked Fabio Grosso. YES! He was a left-back for God's sake! And then he struck a beautiful curling left-foot shot that whizzed past Lehman's far post. 1-0 Italy with 2 minutes left. Surely Germany cannot catch up with the little time remaining. Who would realize on the focus of relentless all-or-nothing German attack that Italians would haunt them with the ever-so-precise and deadly Italian counter attack that left Gilardino facing just a defender at the back. Then he passed it up selflessly to oncoming Del Piero and he killed German fighting spirit with a beautiful high-swinging curling shot onto the right top corner of the net. The Germans was devastated, not only the players, but also the supporters watching the match aka the 12th man on the stadium, the whole nation, and German supporters around the world. Italians joy and they totally deserved the victory. Now I can sense the trophy on their hands when they travel to Berlin for the finals. One down and one more to go. I have got it right so far, and we'll see if the other half of my prediction is correct. And then we'll see the finals of Italian finesse against French flair.

Speaking of Italians, it reminded me of Cars, which I just watched a few days ago. It's another heart-warming flick where it not only draws kids to the cinemas but also adults like myself. It has a lot of moral stories which can teach us many things such as, you can't win it alone; when you shun your friends, you can't get there by yourself; winning is not everything; trust your friends, and support them back with your trust. One character that I loved from the movie was Mater. He's this old rusting tow truck that is just funny, friendly and best of all, a prankster! Hahaha...well, a 7.5-8 out of 10. And yes, I suggest you watch it and live out the Nascar experience like never before. It's amazing the realism and effort into details the producers and crew put up for this movie. And not to forget, there's a bunch more animation movies coming out as Disney fight it out with Pixar!

Ahh....for me? I'm going to enjoy the culmination of the World Cup. It's ending this week, but let's hope the Italians win it all! As I said, Forza Azzuri!! Forza Italia!!















Warming up to the pre-match of Germany vs. Italy and trying to look less sleepy and tired...

4 Barks:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Pooch said...

What do you mean got to see me again?? You haven't been hangin' out in my crib brudder! Hahaha....The gym routine don't have any effects...at least from physical point of view. So, either you need some pair of glasses or shades (which is unlikely) I think you're going blind! I'm still pooch and pooch looses its charisma when it looses its flabs! HAHAHAHA...AM I NUTS??!?!?! Anyway....gotta say something brudder....let me in on the story...It's weird that XXX status on friendster is single. WTH is up wid that?? I need to know the TRUTH! Nothing but the truth. Coz the truth is, both of you are my dear close friends and I hate to see what is happening. So, my secret secure line is there for you to open up - xxxx@gmail.com. And me, to help patch it up if possible. Dun go about it my way. Coz it hurts real bad not only for yourself, but for the other side too.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger inoedoshi said...

~ Wat i meant is i finally got to see the physical u again after so long .. i think never since u've been gone .. hihihi .. pardon my english lah brudder .. LOL .. plus flabs are goood, real gooodd .. wakakakkaa .. *i'm going nuts too here* .. eniweis, so the can of beans hev been spilled eh? sighs .. only a matter of time i guess .. honestly i do not want to share this for now .. in fact, no one knows about the entire story well enuf besides XXX and myself .. and i intend to keep it this way .. i hope u can understand bro .. let me do this one on my own .. shenks for ur concerns tho .. appreciated as always .. and yeah, it hurts ~ cheers

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Pooch said...

hmm...not so much spilled. More like accidentally stumble upon. Plus hints are around in bits and pieces that I (feeling of Sherlock Holmes' descendent +Dr. Phil's wisdom pass-down) can just conclude something is amiss. Any way you can amend it and patch up and kiss and make up?? I'd like to see the kiss part! ;p Well, the only thing I can just give a two cents is that to clarify it in person. Don't leave it up to phone conversation and regret it later. I'd still like to have coffee with two of you together be it as a couple or as friends. So....I'll not bother you for now, but I just wanna say I wish you two can get back together.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger inoedoshi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home